Seamwork Florence bralette. Part I cutting

Here you see the bones of the Florence, which is one of the patterns that came with the subscription to February’s Seamwork Issue.  I ordered all the materials to make the bralette (sort of a lightweight bra) and for the Geneva, which is the companion underwear pattern.  Here, you can see that I did not need two full yards of lace.  This makes me rather grumpy.

Also, the total yardage for both patterns called for 1.25 yards of stretch satin.  But here, with some creative laying out, I can get four pairs of underwear and material for two bras.  Had I known that, I would have ordered a bit more lace.

See how nicely this pattern piece fits into the bits of space for the underwear?

At that point, I had to leave, so this project went on hold.

Savannah Camisole Part I (also favorite pattern and my cat is cute)

Before we get to the camisole, Julie and I went to Fabric Depot to purchase material for said camisole.  We always enjoy looking at the sample garments and this one was a winner. The peplum shirt version was on display and, aside from the ruffles around the neckline which both of us wouldn’t bother to add in the first place, we loved this!  I forgot my camera, so this is a blurry cell phone photo. 

Also, before Julie and I went to Fabric Depot (this is a poorly arranged post) I cleaned the house.  After vacuuming my doormat, I needed to mop the floor, so I set the doormat on my bed.  Sentinel decided it was a good place to sit.

The Savannah camisole is one of two patterns available to subscribers of Seamwork magazine’s January issue.  The other one was a pair of leggings with a cute tulip detail.  I just made leggings, so I’m skipping that pattern now.  I do need tops/shirts/etc so I’m making the camisole.  This will be my first project sewing on the bias.

Here, I’ve taped and cut the pattern.

See that diagonal grain-line?  Usually it would be parallel to the center fold.  That’s how you know this is a bias cut.  I also learned that one should cut fronts and backs of bias cut garments so the bias runs in opposite direction.  This keeps the garment from twisting around the body.

Sentinel came to help with the cutting.  The other thing I learned with this project was that one should cut out pieces on a single layer.

This project was advertised as taking two hours and I’m nearly at that mark.  I’m also nearly done.  I just need to attach the stretch lace and the straps.  I did not finish this project because I’d never used stretch lace before, so I did some online research before we went to the fabric store.  This was both good and bad.  Good because I knew how much stretch lace cost online.  Bad because the stretch lace at Fabric Depot was four times the price of the lace online.  I needed two yards, which would have cost $12.00 or more at the store.  So I came home and ordered five yards from a seller on Etsy (who lives in Boise, Idaho) for $6.00 including shipping.

I’m really liking this fabric and pattern so far.  I look forward to finishing this project.

Seamwork Oslo Sweater Part II

Julie came over for a day of sewing and she helped me lay out the material.  So it was speedy, taking us only 10 minutes.  She also got to see first-hand how lazy a sewist I am.  “Aren’t you going to line up that grainline?” she asked at one point.  I shrugged and she adjusted it.

Here we are 90 minutes in and it’s looking like a robe.  The material is this great fabric I got from Rose City Textiles in their bargain room.

This was also the point in which the directions and I became estranged.  The way I was reading the instructions for the cuff ended up not making much sense, so I finally just added the cuff the way I thought it would work.

And done!  I really like it! It’s very soft and cozy and is the perfect length for a robe.

And here is the final tally. Although you have to add the hour I spent taping the pattern.  But I still consider four hours “an afternoon.” Color me happy,  Seamwork.  I also added snaps to the front to keep it closed. Worked great.

Seamwork Oslo Sweater part I

I’ve subscribed to Seamwork, a digital sewing magazine.  The magazine is free, and if you subscribe ($6.00  per month) you receive two patterns each month.  Each pattern is designed so it can be completed “in an afternoon”.  I aim to make the Oslo Cardigan, although I’m going to use it as a robe.  Let’s see if indeed this pattern can be completed in a timely fashion.

Below, Sentinel observes the detritus from too many projects.

The pattern comes in two forms.  A digital file that can be printed at a copy shop, or a file that can be taped together.  I didn’t make it to the copy shop, so taping and cutting I am.  I did this the night before I set to sewing, and forgot to start the timer, but I think the taping and cutting took about an hour.