Patricia and Matt were married on August 19, 2021, in Tacoma, Washington, and they are having a big party to celebrate!
Celebrations in the time of coronavirus…
…are tricky. We planned this party before the Delta variant started surging. Because it has, and because there is still a global pandemic going on, we will follow CDC guidelines and ask everyone to wear a mask indoors. 8/26 update! Oregon guidelines require masking outdoors if six feet of distance cannot be kept. Please wear your mask outdoors if that is the situation.
We’ve switched some activities planned as indoor activities to the back yard and we will change things up as things develop. We are fully vaccinated and hope that, if you are eligible, you are also fully vaccinated. With that said, let’s get into the details of the Big Party!
Where: The Orange Door (Patricia and Matt’s house)
Time: 2:00 p.m. onward
Let’s talk about the elephant in the room.
We planned a big party on the 20th Anniversary of 9/11. Not ideal, but that’s what we did. As the New York Times said in 2005, “Sept. 11 is a strange, unclassifiable presence on the calendar. It is not an official holiday, and yet it is a day that arouses emotions far more powerful than the half-remembered sentiments behind Columbus or Labor Day.” September 11, 2001 was a big deal in the US, and we will have a way for people to share their memories of that day, if they want to.
Read on for the rest of the run of show!
The Prize Drawings
We have a party passport ready for every attendee. Each activity you take part in earns you a stamp in your passport and one ticket to enter into one of four different drawings for a gift card to one of our favorite Portland places. Plus, there are other opportunities to earn tickets. Gift card drawings will take place throughout the party. You need not be present to win.
- $50 gift card to New Seasons. Drawing at 4:00 p.m.
- $50 gift card to McMenamins. Drawing at 6:00 p.m.
- $50 gift card to Powell’s City of Books. Drawing at 8:00 p.m.
- $50 gift card to the Portland Game Store. Drawing at 10:00 p.m.
Available from 2:00 p.m. onward.
Trivia (indoors or outdoors)—Answer 20 questions written by Patricia and Matt about random (though mostly person-specific) minutia. Much like Patricia’s 10 Years in Portland Pub Quiz Party.
Photo Scavenger Hunt (indoors and outdoors)—Search the Orange Door and the surrounding block to find and take pictures of a variety of items. Much like the scavenger hunt party Patricia had back around 2004 before she owned a digital camera, so there’s no record of it.
Hanging out (indoors and outdoors)—We’re not drill sergeants. You can just chill. You don’t even have to stand. We’ve got chairs and everything.
3:00 Bingo! (outdoors)—Bring your quarters! Use them to buy game boards (25¢ each) and play along as the numbers are called. You get a passport stamp for playing, and Bingo winners get an additional ticket. Much like Bingo at Rosefriend (predigital camera) and Patricia’s Birthday Bingo Party.
5:00 Bring a Song (indoors)—Are you ready to sing? Bring a song. Or a piece, if you are good at music and have a piece ready to perform. You can play your solo piece, sing a solo, sing a sing-along song, or sing with a group of people. Bring your own instrument, or we’ve got a digital piano and a TV that can pull up Karaoke songs on YouTube. If you need a CD player, tell us ahead of time and we’ll rustle something up. Much like our Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog Sing-Along Party, or Patricia’s 40th Birthday Karaoke Party (and all the karaoke gatherings since.)
6:00 Shakespeare (outdoors)—Either perform or watch Act V of Wm. Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors. We will have scripts and links to access PDF copies of scripts for all performers/readers. Everyone watching gets a stamp, and everyone performing earns an additional ticket. Much like our Soup and Shakespeare Party.
7:00 Board Gaming (indoors)—We’ve got gamer games like Dead of Winter, Spirit Island, and Marvel Champions; social games like Medium, UNO, and Skip-Bo; and a few trivia games. You can also bring your own games, too. We will have multiple tables available for players. Much like the regular game night we’ve been hosting forever. Everyone who plays a game earns a stamp.
Other ways to earn tickets
- Scavenger Hunt, find all things
- Trivia 18/20 correct
- Vote for which anniversary we should celebrate
- Previous attendee of 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 past parties
- Known Matt for 5, 10, 15, 20, years
- Known Patricia for 5, 10, 15, 20 years
But What Will Sustain Us Through This Party?
It’s a long party, so we have choices.
- Tap water, and even ice to put in it! (I know! So fancy!) (Also, Patricia’s favorite beverage.)(Though she likes it without ice.)
- A variety of sodas.
- Homemade lemonade and limeade.
- A selection of beer picked out by a New Seasons employee who is good at that.
- Red and white wines.
- A signature cocktail: the Whisky Buck.
- 2:00—We’ll have platters from New Seasons including the seasonal vegetable platter, the Mediterranean platter, the charcuterie platter, and the brie and fruit platter.
- 5:00—Casa Maya will bring us all we need for a taco/burrito bar.
- 8:00—If people are still hungry, we’ll order pizza from Fino.
Patricia loves cakes! So much so that she’s making three of them. Patricia doesn’t love wedding cake traditions involving two-person slicing and feeding/shoving, so there will be none of that.
Here’s what we’ll be slicing up:
- 4:00—The Pink Cake. Chocolate cake with raspberry-tinted buttercream frosting
- 6:00—Watergate Cake with Impeachment Frosting. Pistachio cake, pistachio buttercream, and candied pistachios.
- 8:00—Goober Cake. Peanut butter cake with peanut butter frosting, plus a few layers of chocolate ganache.
Should I RSVP?
Yes, you should!
It will help a lot!
You can RSVP by posting a comment on this post (Patricia will need to approve the comment, so you won’t see your RSVP instantaneously), phoning, messaging, texting, or emailing Matt or Patricia, or mentioning that you are coming the next time you see either of us.
Are you registered?
We have no registry. We own a lot of stuff already. If you are coming to the party, your presence is present enough. If you are not coming to the party, good wishes (sent via vibes, text, email, or the USPS) are also wonderful.
If you are a person who really likes to celebrate things with money, you could make a donation to:
- Proud Ground (the reason we are homeowners.) Donate
- SCARS Survivor Collective Alliance Reaching Society (Matt is a board member and helps with the Survivor Impact Panels.) Donate
- The Oregon Humane Society (the reason we share the Orange Door with two great cats!) Donate
- We also have a honeymoon/20th Anniversary fund, but don’t feel obligated. Really.