Did you eat your black-eyed peas and greens yet today? Better get them cooking. They bring good luck for the new year.
This recipe is from “Still Life With Menu” by Mollie Katzen. It’s easy, but the original makes a ton, so I halved it.
Black-Eyed Peas and Greens
- 1.5 c black-eyed peas, soaked for 8 hours or so.
- 3 c water
- 3 medium-sized cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 t salt
- 3-4 c. (packed) chopped mixed greens
- 1 medium-sized leek, cleaned well and chopped.
- Place the black-eyed peas and water in a soup pot. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and mostly cover. Cook gently until tender, checking the water level every now and then. If it appears to be getting dry, add water, 1/2 cup at a time. About 15 minutes into the cooking, add the garlic. The peas will take 30-35 minutes to cook
- When the black-eyed peas are just about tender, stir in the salt, greens and leeks. Cover, and continue to simmer just a few more minutes. The greens and leeks will cook very quickly.
- Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper and serve hot.